Pope Francis is once again canceling public appearances due to nerve pain
Author:
Published: 2021-01-23 01:22 pm

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis is once again canceling public appearances due to nerve pain.

Francis will not participate in three events over the coming days “due to a recurrence of sciatica,” Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni said in a statement on Saturday.

The 84-year-old pope will go ahead with the Angelus blessing on Saturday, delivered from the Apostolic Library instead of a window overlooking St. Peter’s Square due to the virus resurgence. But he won’t say Mass in the Vatican Basilica on Sunday or a planned evening prayer at St. Paul’s Basilica to close out a week of prayer, and a meeting with the diplomatic corps to the Holy See set for Monday will be rescheduled, the Vatican said.

Nerve pain also forced the pope to skip New Year’s ceremonies in St. Peter’s Basilica.

Papal trips are grueling under any circumstance, with many appointments each day, long Masses and reception lines and multiple transfers via car and plane.

Francis has spoken openly about his sciatica in the past. It is a form of pain in the lower body caused by compression or irritation on nerve roots or on the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower spine down the thigh.

>
Read Full Story

Active storm pattern with cross country storms bringing heavy snow, wind, rain

abcnews.go.com - 6 days ago
An active weather pattern with several storm systems is moving through the country with heavy snow, damaging winds, severe thunderstorms and flooding rain.
Read More

EU takes legal action against UK over planned Brexit bill

abcnews.go.com - 5 months ago
UK legislation would breach parts of the legally binding EU divorce agreement.
Read More

Man who attacked Jew in Germany sent to psychiatric hospital

abcnews.go.com - 5 days ago
A German court has sent a man who attacked a Jewish student in Hamburg in October to a psychiatric hospital
Read More

Iran: Sailors from seized South Korean tanker to be released

abcnews.go.com - 4 weeks ago
Iran’s foreign ministry says the sailors from a South Korean tanker seized in the Persian Gulf by Iranian troops last month are free to leave the country
Read More